Hollywood Spin




Let me start by saying I don't actually plan family holidays around the location of particular laundrettes... but while we happened to be in the North East last week I took the opportunity to visit The Old Cinema in Durham, as recommended by Diane from the laundrette in Wheelton. Luckily The Old Cinema is part laundrette, part coffee shop so I was able to bribe the kids with a hot chocolate while I nattered to the staff and swooned over the vintage decor. As the name suggests this laundrette is located in a 1920's cinema which closed its doors to movie goers in 1958, and the retro chic of the laundrette showcases that cinematic history (each washing machine is dedicated to a classic movie star icon) alongside a fabulous selection of vintage washing advertising. As well as offering laundry services and a coffee shop/bar, The Old Cinema also hosts gigs and other performances - as evidenced by the piano in the corner! The team say that the cinema was a big part of local history and they hope the laundrette can be equally valuable to the community.



The Old Cinema reminded me of an article I read about the first laundrette (or laundromat as they say in the US) which opened in Texas in 1934 and was known as a 'Washateria', a conjunction of wash and cafeteria. This Fort Worth shop had four washing machines, paid by the hour, but unlike The Old Cinema they don't seem to have served drinks and snacks, they simply wanted to communicate that it offered the same convenience and service as a cafe, and of course a place to meet and enjoy good company. 

Anyway enough of me, I'm sure you want to see pictures!









It was reassuring to hear before I left that the owner also checks out laundrettes when she is on holiday, including one in Croatia (suddenly Durham doesn't seem so far!). I can see why Diana feels an affinity with this place, its a real labour of love with a gorgeous vintage flair, and once again a beating heart of the community. 


Comments